Sunday, June 29, 2008

Epic Commuting

So this past Wednesday was Bike To Work Day. I have biked in part-way a couple of times in the past few weeks. But never the full distance. The full distance is 15 miles. My first commute on bike was to drive in about 1/2 way (7-8) miles and ride in with friends through a state park. I avoid most of the traffic, and don't get too winded going in. I had a great time...
The second (and maybe third) time I biked in, I would bike to the light rail station -about 11 miles away- and take the light rail to work. This was a good distance, and I was a little worn out after the ride. But still not too bad. My times door-to-door were around an hour to an hour and a quarter.
On Bike To Work Day, I decided that I would like to go the entire distance on human power. I wussed out a little, and biked to the light rail on my trek into work, but decided to "go the distance" on the return trip. The first few miles flew by. I was going downhill, feeling good, and listening to my exercise mix. --On a sidenote, I need to update my mix. It isn't as inspiring as it was when I first made it. --

The aerial photo shows about 7 miles of my route going home. My route follows the purple or the blue going in a southwest direction, and then the red or brown to the south. The problem is that the trail ends for a few miles and I have to go by street, before connecting to the trail again. I had looked and looked at the route, but not well enough apparently, because I got lost!!! Now I need to qualify my "lost" statement. I knew where I was if I was driving home, but I could not find the trail. I hunted around, hopped a fence, and ended up at our local garden center without any trail going south in sight. This is somewhat discouraging, especially when I have been following the GDR. The Great Divide Race goes along the rockies from northern Montana to Southern New Mexico. Contestants have to be self sufficient the entire time. I have read about how this rider was lost for an hour here, or an hour there, but it is in the wilderness, with no other trails around. I am riding in a large city, and can't find a bike trail. :( Well at least I knew where I was. I ended up taking a heavily trafficked road for several miles, but made it back to familiar territory. This time, the trip took two and a half hours. I estimate I went about 30 miles that day. I was pretty sore the following day. Now I just have to gear up for our alpine loop ride in September of 60-90 miles.


3 comments:

Andrew Hahn said...

I think about you getting lost and me averaging a wimpy 4.7 mph on a ~1100 foot climb and wonder how successful we're going to be! :)

Time to start training, I guess!

Annieofbluegables said...

You're both heros to me. After riding Red's bike, I want a new one. Mine is really exhausting to ride.

~a

Sailor said...

At least you have sense enough not to ride on roads closed due to blowing snow. I could see the road marking reflectors, but couldn't my front wheel hub or lower.