Saturday, February 9, 2008

Iron Man Triathalon

I don't remember when I first heard about the Iron Man Triathlon, but I remember thinking that would be a really neat accomplishment. For those of you that don't know about this insane race, it is a marathon (26.2 miles), a 112 mile bike ride, and a 2 1/2 mile swim. ALL done in the same day!
One of my favorite stories about the Iron man is shown below. This is the background.



Here is a video containing footage from the race. Although it provides less dialogue and background, the images are pretty powerful. MUST WATCH!!



I get a tear or two when I watch this.

An article from CNN.


I recently received an email from Parker outlining an Iron Man Challenge that participants would finish within a 2 week time frame. I started laying out what I would need to do, and it would involve running 6 - 7 miles a day, followed by 25-30 mile bike rides, and 1 mile swims. It totals to 11 workout sessions over two sets of Monday through Saturday. For those that logged the triathlon in 1 week, they would get a special honor. Now I am definitely not in good enough shape to do this right now. Et Cetera's wife probably could, but not me.

My next thought was to put the challenge up on Epic Ride...exercise, practice and use out of the mountain bike that I am going to get soon, and a feeling of accomplishment. What do you think? I was thinking a month time frame...say March or April.

Someday I would like to compete in the Iron Man in one day. :)

1 comment:

Annieofbluegables said...

I am so impressed!
You Go M!