Monday, August 20, 2007

Third Funeral

I had a sad weekend. I attended two funerals, which you can read about here.

Admittedly, the supposed third funeral wasn't exactly the loss of a loved one. At least a loved one that's really alive.

I've owned my Specialized Rockhopper since 1995. I cracked the frame from hanging it in an attic for 2 years and subjecting it to severe heat/cold swings. I replaced the frame in 1998 and have enjoyed it ever since. It's been about 3 years since riding regularly, and knowing that, I was afraid of what condition I'd find my old friend in.

I was pleased to find my bike in good shape - at least initially.

On my first ride I broke my front shock.

Last week I broke my chain and my shoes.

Saturday I took it into the local shop to get a new chain and received some bad news.

The guy there told me that my bottom bracket bearings were crushed, my rear cassette and front chain cog shot, and of course my shocks were toast. All the parts and labor would add up quickly - almost what I would pay for a brand new bike.

So long ol' buddy - see you on the great trails in the sky.

2 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

::TAPS playing::
I am so sorry for the loss of your very prized possession and friend.
::Removes Hat, places over heart::
::tear falling::
sigh
Mom

Sailor said...

How about just parts? I do have a welder, and know how to use it as well, if there are any cracks. I imagine the labor would be the real killer. Do you think you could haunt DI and find a bike with interchagable parts. Play it again sports? Online parts? Surely old Rockhopper can be revived. Keep us posted unless you buried it already... at Wounded Knee. ...