Monday, August 13, 2007

My Weak-end Ride

Caren and I had a jillion things to do this weekend but we still wanted to get a ride in. (She's been riding the past couple of Saturdays because of a minor foot injury.)

After we got all the necessary things out of the way, we packed up the bikes and headed up to Hobble Creek Trail to squeeze a quick ride in.

My poor bike is starting to show its age. On a recent ride I broke my shocks and I figured that it was the beginning of the end for my old Rockhopper.

Sure enough, this ride I managed to break my biking shoes - which are just a little younger than my bike - as well as my chain. Breaking my chain meant that I had to walk the last .75 miles to where Caren and the kids were waiting. And I had to do it on shoes that were totally falling apart.

All-in-all, not my best ride ever.

2 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

Seems like when you pick neglected item up from a while of neglect that is what happens. In fact it doesn't matter that it has been sitting safely in a closet, or hung on a bike rack, it may as well have been used every day. For some reason you just have to take it out on that first ride to see all that is going to go wrong. Good luck fixing it. You need to ride that thing for years to pay for its initial price, donchaknow?
love you, son
Mom

Mike said...

I had a similar experience. My sidewall blew out on my 4th or 5th ride this year. That and it was ghost shifting, leaving grease on everything, and in general being a naughty bike. I think I will throw it in the trash.

See if it act up on me again!