Monday, December 3, 2007

Catching On

It was really interesting to see how exercise has transformed the women in Caren's family. I watched as woman after woman lost weight, ran 5k's and 10k's. Women who'd never run much more than a mile - and that was back in high school - women who didn't have treadmills or jogging strollers who, in order to get their miles in, would jog up and down their driveway because they couldn't leave their kids at home alone. I watched as everyone of them cut their calories and began to eat healthier and subsequently lost pound after pound.

I watch how person after person comes up to Caren to tell her how good she looks she responds with what a difference exercise and a proper diet has made.

And now that I'm striving toward a goal to exercise for 60@5 and to, at least, overcome inconsistency, I'm starting to see others catch on. Now both Mike and Mom are working toward a 60 day goal with me (thanks guys!!). I even had a woman in our neighborhood tell me that she's now been out for 2 weeks straight and feels it's made all the difference in the world to her.

Rock on for the power of good influences - and thanks, Caren for getting me going!

2 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

She also showed us a wonderful site, www.sparkpeople.com
This is an amazing site, it is free, it shows you exercises in two formats, video and pictures, it provides a place to track your calories, your exercise, your motivations. It motivates, has articles on health from A~Z. I have introduced this to your dad and my sister who both are signed on and starting their exercises as well. Caren you have started a ball rolling that we all have wanted to do, but didn't know how to start. The influence of a good example is so much better than any other. I am so proud of you both, and those who are following in Caren's dust.
YEA.

Mike said...

Sometimes things just click. S2 and I have tried this a couple of times and it didn't work. The 1st time we tried exercising on a consistent basis, it was on a bet. If I won, she would have to eat a hotdog, or a piece of pineapple. I would have to...I forget, but I am sure it wasn't as horrifying to me as a hotdog or pineapple is to her. We exercised the entire winter. Our program was a little bit different. We had to exercise 4 days a week and do situps/pushups/etc. for 10 min 4 days a week. It gets pretty cold in Russia, but I kept with it. We both allowed 2 sick days during that time, and I ended up using them around Thanksgiving. This has clicked for me. My next goal is to start eating consistently. I do pretty good most days, but I want to work on the exceptions.

3 Cheers for Caren, her example, and her challenge to you, Bro! Its catching...