Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Consistency

In the last several years I've discovered a serious character flaw. I've observed it in some of my relatives and have often wondered if it hereditary or a product of my upbringing (no offense guys - just an observation). Regardless of where this flaw originates I have discovered I have a serious problem with consistency.

It often manifests itself in two forms: 1) inability to remain constant in a repetitive task (scripture study, exercise, money management, etc) and 2) a perpetual desire to experience something new (often manifested by a desire to try new food, become restless in a job, try to learn a new skill that I'll never succeed in, etc.). I've never considered the two related, but it makes sense that they stem from the same character flaw: inconsistency.

Caren, however, has the most consistent person on the planet and has been a major force in helping me overcome my flaw in a number of areas.

My inability to remain consistent has recently rendered my exercise efforts completely useless. One or two days a week - then a two week hiatus isn't exactly a catalyst for real change. With exercise I find it difficult to remain driven for results - mostly because my brief forays have never produced any real change and I find it easy to lose desire.

Well, I'm out to change that - at least in the exercise realm - once and for all. Caren is again aiding me in my quest to become consistent. She and I struck a deal last night: if I can exercise five days a week for eight weeks we will set aside money for a new bike.

If I miss one day, I have to start over. So it's in my best interest to make sure I do this right the first time.

Granted I'm only on Day Two of my 60 day quest, but I have high hopes. After all, I'm highly motivated - for now.

10 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

I don't know if it is genes or example, but you definitely got it from your good ol' parents. There is not a lot of "judge" in these bones. I have to constantly fight that. Sorry.
Maybe Caren's example will help your children to improve their generation? Whatever the motivation, I am proud of you both for trying and succeeding. I need some sort of carrot in front of me as well, I think
mom

The Rooster said...

I think it is a trait of the human race. I myself struggle with the same thing. This past year I have purchased a bike, shoes, pedals, biking clothes, an indoor trainer and a gym pass, and so far I have used all of these items a handful of times. Sad. But here's to new beginnings. Having people work towards the same goal is always a good motivator.

P.S. - when do I get to make posts on here? :)

Jenny said...

I think that lack of consistency is a pretty common human failing. I look at my family and see how they've struggled with exercise and diet for many, many years and know that it has to do with consistency and changing habits. It took two heart attacks from my dad to change his ways. My brother is walking 6 miles a day and seriously limiting his food intake so he can go on a mission, when it would have been easier to have better habits starting years ago. I had a college roommate who would cry into her pillow whenever she fell off the exercise wagon. I think it's all part of overcoming the natural man. It's hard. It just goes to show how amazing Caren is that she is so consistent because it's such an incredibly hard thing to do. I'm consistent as long as all the factors remain constant. Any big event throws me off and it takes weeks or months to get back going again. Maybe I need a carrot too. Your kids are definitely at an advantage to see consistency in work at their house. We're striving for that here, too.

Jenny said...

I have to add that the only major flaw I've seen with all your family members is being hard on themselves. Enough with the self-flagellation! I'm just sayin'.

Mike said...

I will join you in your exercise quest. Sounds like a good goal. What model of bike is that?

Katie said...

wow... that comment was definitely below the belt. that hurt is ways i can't even express. it is so true. that is one of the things that i struggle with the most. i will have to hop on that band wagon of exercise too. i can commit to 3 days a week. i know that isn't going to do much but it is better than nothing right?

Sailor said...

Hmmmm.....maybe it would be better to separate dicipline from the discussion as that seems to be what we would all like more of. But as for being interested in many things, I don't see that as bad. And I don't really think that you need to follow every path that you start on to it's absolute conclusion.

When you were all in high school and grade school, I don't know how many times you told me that there wasn't anything to do. Now you have a life, and you find that learning is fun, and that there are many, many subjects to learn about. I see that as healthy. Yes, some disipline is good. But curiosity is good too. It's good to have some of each.

Andrew Hahn said...

Jenny - it's true, we're all about self-flagellation. It's totally good for you! Try it - you'll like yourself a lot less afterward!

Andrew Hahn said...

Nurse - Sorry to hit below the belt. I didn't mean it to be a indictment against my family, but just an observation. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

pixiestylist said...

well geez! i feel like i should make a comment just to be part of the group! yes i also have issues with consistency, but at least i always do, and that's consistent :)